Tuesday, May 15, 2012


I have been training for a half marathon next Sunday, and Friday night, I knew I was overdue for a long run.  My running partners have all been sidelined with injuries or other commitments, so I knew I was on my own for this one.  I also knew I would talk myself out of a Saturday morning run without any accountability, so at 12:30 a.m. on Friday night, I donned my running gear, and started heading south, desperate for a different route than the canal running east/west near my house.

I was determined to run at least 8 miles, so I knew I had to run 4 miles straight out so I wouldn't shortcut it and come home early.  Well, by the time I got to 3.5 miles, the street I was on turned, and I realized I was entering downtown, not a place people should generally hang around after dark.  But I was determined, so I continued on, eyes straight ahead, trying to ignore any goings-on around me.  For the most part, God kept me pretty calm about the whole experience.  I just kept telling myself, "at least I know I'm going to Heaven."

I finished the run at 8.4 miles, and arrived home at 2 a.m.  I showered, then lay down on the couch to elevate & ice my ankles before going to bed.

This weekend was Mother's Day and my friend Amy's birthday.  I had been planning to go to Orange County to see my mom, but having been sick the whole previous week, I was feeling behind on life stuff here, so I opted to stay home.

On Saturday we celebrated Amy's birthday.  Her kids had a little league game at 1 p.m., and then she, her family, a couple other friends, and I all went back to her house for a Mexican food birthday lunch, cake and swimming.  I made her a batch of my grandma's rhubarb applesauce.

Afterward we all went down to the baseball stadium to see our AAA (farm team for the Giants) Fresno Grizzlies play the Omaha Storm Chasers.  I'm not much for baseball, but it was a fun evening with friends.  And it was a fundraiser night for the little league team, and all the teams were paraded around the baseball field.

On Sunday, I went to church, but was so wiped afterward from getting so little sleep that I went home for a nap.  Then I went back over to Amy's house where some of our group was hanging out for a low-key Mother's Day lunch.  I swam some more that day, definitely helping to loosen up my muscles from the long run.

Then I went to my small group for the evening, and went home afterward to try and get a good night's sleep for the work week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment