Sunday, April 15, 2012

MCC Sale

I had house guests!  It's not a common occurrence for me, so I'm excited when I get to host people.  This is a big house, and I have always wanted it to be a blessing to more than just me, be it for roommates or for travelers from out of the area.

My dear friends Terry and JoAnne came up for a long weekend.  Terry had a couple of work meetings Thursday and Friday, and so they stayed at my house one of the nights of their visit.

On Friday, Terry and I both got out of work early, and I introduced he and JoAnne to the annual MCC Sale.  MCC stands for Mennonite Central Committee and is a world relief organization.  They function as phase-two support in national disasters (going in after the Red Cross to setup more long-term recovery efforts) as well as a missionary agency.

Since my alma mater Fresno Pacific University is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren denomination, the campus hosts the MCC Sale.  The main events are the quilt auction (over 200 handmade quilts donated) and the food: pies, fritters, funnel cakes, baked potatoes, tri-tip, and zweibach (an over-glorified traditional buttery dinner roll).  It was raining, so it hampered the afternoon a little, but oh well.

I saw a few friends and even two roommates that I hadn't seen in several years, and it was great to catch up.  Priscilla, the university president's wife, was my chem lab prof.  She and I have a standing tradition to meet first-in-line at the fritter booth on Saturday morning of the sale and catch up. Because of Terry & JoAnne's visit and our other plans for Saturday, I arranged to meet Priscilla on Friday instead.

And it worked out well because the current university president is retiring this summer, and so I was introduced to his replacement, and was very pleased.  Being in leadership, working on Student Exec and having Priscilla as my chem lab prof, I know the exiting president, Merrill, well, so I was interested in seeing who's taking hold of the baton.  I was impressed.

I was talking with people for quite awhile, so it was a good thing Terry and JoAnne were in a comfortable spot in the student lounge where we had been eating, because they fell asleep.  We looked at a few other areas of the sale, bought a rhubarb pie and some zweibach to go, and headed back to my house to pack for Bass Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment